Joy in the little things
Friday, October 31, 2014 • 12:30 AM • 0 comments
I woke up today, honestly, feeling like absolute crap.
It is just a natural human condition to have days where you just want to...
...basically not function. at all.
(which I'm guessing is only possible in an imaginary ideal world that doesn't & cannot exist LOL)
It is especially inherent if you are an XX-chromosome bearing homosapien. Thank you PMS for forever making the lives of females a living 'heaven'.....not.
I just felt depressed.
But then my day took a turn for the better...and it all started when my sister dropped by at the coffee house today, not to have coffee, but to deliver me a pack of sushi and Snyder's of Hanover pretzel pieces. That was her sole reason.
I WAS SO TOUCHED.
I needed it. I am so blessed to have a big sister. Seriously. I cannot take that for granted. At all. Ever.
You see the thing about some girls in PMS is that we are just needing a little bit more of that tender loving care. And my sister gave me just that. I wanted to tear up because it just hit me right in the feels (also because i'm hormonal hahahha). Kind of reminds me of the ending in that insanely popular animation movie 'Frozen'...where Anna accidentally got frozen by her sister's magical freezing powers hahahah and only an act of true love could thaw her frozen heart (and prevent her from dying or something? I don't know I forgot hahahaha) But what I remember most is the ending. The very twist in the animation is that you'd think that Anna's romantic interest would be the one to thaw her heart... but no, it was her very own sister Elsa..... you would know if you watched it. hahaha. It's actually a heart-warming movie with a really good message.
Following my sister's gift-bearing visit I felt that things started to look up. It felt like the universe was a little gentle on me. And somehow my attention is diverted into the little things that should be noticed and appreciated....
That customer who usually orders a caramel macchiato with extra caramel didn't seem so condescending and self-entitled today (I usually get really bothered by it hahahah) and was actually nice and slightly more polite.
My barista colleague offered to make me a piccolo latte when I just randomly announced that I needed coffee hahaha. So very kind and thoughtful.
My other colleague told me to take some of the take-out food someone bought in addition to our pre-packed lunch. All this made me realize that my workmates actually feel like family and it makes me so glad to be working with some really nice people.
My mum could pick me up from work today and she didn't complain about it. Hahaha.
My boyfriend and I still managed to meet and have dinner at a new spot we've never been to before, even though he's been busy all day.
And my favorite "little thing" of all today is when my boyfriend took my hand and held it as he drove me home...(no, this has never got us into an accident hahahah) and even though we do it almost all the time, it is still one of my favorite little things.
I also bumped into Nelly and Mel Nic at Pick & Pay after dinner and I had a really wonderful chat with them and that made me happy too.
And now I am ending the day with a lighter and more positive mood :)
There is always joy in the little things if you choose to see it, and appreciate it. It diverts your attention from the negatives to the positives...and it leaves you happier and more fulfilled.
-Anthea ❤





